Sex chat text kitchener
In 1820, the government purchased additional land from the Mississaugas.
Additional settlements were established, including: Barbertown, Britannia, Burnhamthorpe, Derry West, Elmbank, Malton, Meadowvale Village, Mount Charles, and Streetsville.
The Council's responsibilities included road maintenance, and the constitution of a police force.
Except for small villages, some gristmills and brickworks served by railway lines, most of present-day Mississauga was agricultural land, including fruit orchards, through much of the 19th and first half of the 20th century.
Toronto Township, consisting of most of present-day Mississauga, was formed on 2 August 1805 when officials from York (what is now the City of Toronto) purchased 84,000 acres (340 km²) of land from the Mississaugas.
In January 2010, the Mississaugas and the federal government settled a land claim, in which the band of aboriginal people received 5,000,000, as just compensation for their land and lost income.
The first prototypical suburban developments occurred around the same time, in the area south of the Dixie Road/QEW interchange.
Development in general moved north and west from there over time and around established communities.
The government wanted to compensate the Loyalists for property lost in the colonies and encourage development of what was considered frontier.One of the First Nations groups the French traders found around the Credit River area were the Algonquian Mississaugas, a tribe originally from the Georgian Bay area.The name "Mississauga" comes from the Anishinaabe word Misi-zaagiing, meaning "[Those at the] Great River-mouth." By 1700 the Mississaugas had driven away the Iroquois, yet during the Beaver Wars they played a neutral or post-emptive role.Large-scale developments, such as Erin Mills and Meadowvale sprang up in the 19 respectively.The township settlements of Lakeview, Cooksville, Lorne Park, Clarkson, Erindale, Sheridan, Dixie, Meadowvale Village, and Malton were amalgamated by a somewhat unpopular provincial decree in 1968 to form the Town of Mississauga.